There’s something to be said for those moments we shared as kids over milkshakes. The cold silver cups filled to the brim with a gorgeous frothy milkshake that always disappeared too quickly. Way too quickly… Chocolate, Strawberry, Vanilla, Lime and Caramel. Fanta spiders. Creaming soda spiders…. Roller-skates were our mode of transport. We sat at milk bars for hours. We made friends. We laughed. We loved.
Memories were made.
Fast forward (err….cough!) 30+ years and we are sitting in my kitchen. Mr nearly three hanging with me. His love of smoothies is pretty cute. The mention of one sends him in a happy dance across the kitchen floor, high-fiving the world. I’m not quite sure when I let him in on a little secret… That it’s healthy. We sit and laugh. And love. And drink supergreen smoothies in glass jars with stainless steel straws. A little hipster you say. Not really. We are just being kind to ourselves and to the earth.
What does it matter if it’s healthy? Maybe I won’t ever tell him. What would it achieve…?Memories are being made. Good ones. And there’s not one single grain of refined sugar in sight.
That’s our little secret!
Monkey’s favourite green smoothie
Throw the following into your high-powered blender…
- 2 frozen bananas
- a decent handful of frozen mango in chunks
- 1/3 frozen avocado in chunks
- 1 kale leaf (stem removed)
- decent finger pinch of fresh wheatgrass
- 1 large tablespoon of supergreen powder (mine has barley grass, wheat grass, spirulina and chlorella)
- 1 tablespoon chia seed
- 1 teaspoon bee pollen
- 1/3 teaspoon gibunge powder (rich in vitamin c)
- 1/3 teaspoon matcha maiden green tea powder
- 1 large tablespoon 100% pure coconut cream
- 1 large tablespoon raw Jarrah honey
- Approx 600-700 ml filtered water to desired consistency
Makes enough for our family of three.