Why eat organic meat?
- You will find more Omega 3s in grass-fed pasture ORGANIC meat. As we all know, Omegas 3s are essential in reducing risk of heart disease, diabetes, cancer etc.
- ORGANIC meat contains up to five times more CLA, a fatty acid called Linoleic acid which reduces your risk of cancer.
- A 170 gram ORGANIC steak has 100 less calories compared to a regular steak. It also contains less saturated fat.
- ORGANIC meat is free from toxins, antibiotics and hormones. Because ORGANIC animals are not fed animal by-products there is no risk of mad cow disease to you or your family!
- ORGANIC meat poses a low risk of carrying E.coli.
Not to mention the ethical reasons!
- ORGANIC farms use renewable resources, conserve water and don’t require the growth, transporting, waste and use of bulk feed.
- ORGANIC free-range animals are free to roam, socialise and show their instinctive behaviour 365 days a year.
There is no denying it…… ORGANIC meat IS unfortunately more expensive to produce and that is why it is more expensive at the counter. By paying that little bit more at the counter, you can sleep easy knowing that your money is going into the health of you and your family. Knowing that you are making a difference to the lives of our livestock animals when you put your money where your ethics are.
You can even go one step further and choose your meat by choosing the farms that you trust. Choosing farms that look after their animals humanely. Choosing farms that protect their animals from stress all the way through the meat process. Choosing to shop at local farmers markets where you can talk to the farmers who love their animals.
Why not choose one or two days a week for your family to go meat-free? There are fabulous vegetarian recipes that will have you not even missing meat they’re so good!!! The animals will love you and so with your health.
The most fabulous farm I have ever come across for ethically raising their animals is Pasture Perfect in Australia:
Have a good look around their website and their FAQs page. You could not ask for happier, healthier animals! Pasture Perfect are just about to open an online store so you can order directly from them. I don’t eat much pork at all as I have always had trouble digesting it, but I can tell you this pork is DIVINE and no trouble on my stomach! Their Chrissie hams are THE BOMB!!
I am sure there are many other fabulous farmers out there doing similar work. I would love to hear from you about your favourites!!
PS Did you know that pigs have the cognitive ability of a three year old child and that chickens can recognise up to 100 different faces? Amazing hey!